Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Worth Repeating ***

Reading a few blog posts lately and other reminders that we all age a bit more each day and that life passes by quickly and though we, none of us, wish or want it to fly by nor end, it too soon does so. It is in our latter years that our days seem to go by faster, zipping away and we can look back and think: if only I had known and used my time to better use.

I first came to the realization of this when we lost one family member or friend after another and somehow, just by chance one day, I happened upon the following words of "Slow Dance".

I have no recall where I came upon the words but immediately when finished reading, I felt that Providence had allowed me to read the poem at a most propitious time when I was at that stage in the throws of grief from the loss of my father just days before.

Today I do not feel that anything happens by chance; I think all of life's occurrences are synchronized in one manner or another and that we do not and cannot see the big picture. Sometimes a person can look back and see why something happened and connect that to something else and so forth but only afterward.

I fully believe that everything, no matter how minor or major, that we experience in life is a lesson given to us that we may learn from and in the process grow in understanding of what life is all about. Life tends to teach us daily to become aware; aware that we are each connected and a tiny part of the whole of the universe.

And so I learned from reading the following to slow down, look around, open my eyes, mind and heart; to become more aware. I hope you too may gain more understanding of your life after you've read the poem.

I've never tried to find the source of it, the author. It may even be words to a popular song. Just knowing the beauty and profoundness of the message has been enough for me. Somewhere within my blog I have posted the words once before but I felt they are worthy of repeating.

Slow Dance

Have you ever watched kids on a merry-go-round?
Or listened to the rain slapping on the ground?
Ever followed a butterfly's erratic flight?
Or gazed at the sun in the fading light?

You better slow down
Don't dance so fast.
Time is short
The music won't last.

Do you run through each day on the fly
When you ask "How are You"?, do you hear the reply?
When the day is gone, do you lie in your bed
With the next hundred chores running through your head?

You'd better slow down
Don't dance so fast
Time is short
The music won't last.

Ever told your child, "we'll do it tomorrow"
And in your haste not see his sorrow?
Ever lost touch, let a good friendship die
Cause you never had time to call and say Hi?

You'd better slow down
don't dance so fast
Time is short
The music won't last.

When you run so fast to get somewhere
you miss half the fun of getting there.
When you worry and hurry through your day,
It is like and unopened gift....thrown away.

Life is not a race. Do take it slower.
Hear the music before the song is over.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So nice of you to stop by. Welcome and thanks for leaving a comment about the post--we love hearing from you. You are always welcome to chime in.