Saturday, February 6, 2010

Can This Possibly Be True? ***

September/October 2009 Project: Libraries
Posted 16 September 2009 By Barista
Earlier this week, I read that ALL the public libraries in the city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, will be closed effective October 2nd, because of state budget issues. Not just one branch, the entire library system. While I don’t live anywhere near Philadelphia, and while I personally prefer bookstore-cafes to libraries, I grew up haunting the public libraries in various cities, and this strikes me as deeply tragic.

If this is true it is deeply worrying. Libraries are the only free institution for the public in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment

So nice of you to stop by. Welcome and thanks for leaving a comment about the post--we love hearing from you. You are always welcome to chime in.