Monday, February 9, 2015

WORDS - Bears Reading Again - A Repeat & Addendum *

Words are Real Things - Serious Consideration Needed

that can be remembered for a lifetime.  They often outlast the speaker, 


"The Danger Of Words"
by Paulo Coelho
"A woman said so often that her neighbor was a thief that the young man was finally arrested. Some days later, they discovered that he was innocent and set him free. Then he sued the woman.
“Comments are not so serious,” she said to the judge. “Granted,” answered the magistrate. “When you get back home today, write down everything bad you said about the young man, then tear up the paper and throw the bits away as you walk along. Come back tomorrow to hear the sentence.”
you are pardoned if you give me the bits of paper you spread on the street yesterday. Otherwise you will be condemned to a year in prison,” declared the magistrate.
“But that’s impossible! The wind has blown them all away!” “In the very same way, a simple comment can be spread by the wind and destroy a man’s honor, and afterwards it is impossible to repair the harm that has been done.” And he sent the woman off to jail."
**************************
 
This reminds me of the time my grandmother told me the story of the woman who opened her window, shook her pillow in the air.  A flaw in its cover caused the feathers to come out and blow all about.  She couldn't retrieve them.  Grandma's story was a lesson about gossiping impossible to un-speak, retract.  I have sometimes forgotten her telling me this story as we walked along on that pleasant day.  I was only four years old but well understood what she was telling me. The story illustrates  a lesson for us all to learn.  
Character is who we are.  Reputation is what others think and say about us.  So often words are said without thought of what harm it may cause another human.  So often our thoughts and words can cause long lasting pain for others, pain that can last a lifetime, sometimes even into next generations.  So the next time, you or I have something to impart, whether it be truth or not, let us stop and THINK; is it necessary or correct to be speaking of this in such manner? 


Something else I find unnecessary and very distasteful: I've visited Bloggers, who are often blasting other people; their lives, looks, how they spend money, their walk, their "outrageous attire", how  they keep house, smell! etc., on and on, ad nauseam.  Blazed & charred profanity erupts without warning.  Another character is always in dire straits: we are all in need sometimes BUT not continuously! Readers are expected to comment pleasantly and to agree and accept their views; else they will "take you down at the pass".  Seeing all the bitching/cursing/ranting about others tends to color my world a dark shade of gray.  Living in solitude has expanded my attention toward others' viewpoints.  Good sensible words and views I enjoy reading. Others I have the prerogative to reject my attention. So hopefully we can keep in mind the stories of the "Feather Pillow" and the "Judge's Decision", and recall that we each and every one have the privilege of living our life, whatever fashion it may be.
(Excuse me now.  It being balmy outside, I must go clean up the clutter in my yard; I see the Lawn Police cruising the lane! Ha Ha)
   
Pictures are taken from the internet.      

No comments:

Post a Comment

So nice of you to stop by. Welcome and thanks for leaving a comment about the post--we love hearing from you. You are always welcome to chime in.