Below are pictures of the quilt I made this winter for Lane, my great-grandson, who is now 3years + 3 months old. I named it. "Quilt of Many Colors" (see December's post) then decided to call it "A Happy Quilt". It certainly does have many colors and hundreds of scraps of different and several types of fabric. Lane wanted a fleece blanket bound with satin but this didn't fit in with my idea; yet I did add a few scraps of fleece and a few pieces that feel silky. Hopefully, he will be happy with the results. I want him to experience the 'feel' of the many fabrics. The idea for designing it comes from a long ago memory of a quilt my grandmother made and gave to my Markie, when he was about 2 1/2 years old. She used wool and silky scraps and lots of colorful blanket stitch around each piece. Grandmother "Mussie"/Mary died in '59. My brother died in March 2012 (see past posts). Whatever happened to his quilt, I don't know but it has always remained strongly in my mind. I loved it! I also envied his possession. I was only 4 years old but I knew luxurious beauty! To this very day, I love combinations of many colors.
Last November 12th I went shopping for some quilt batting in preparation to finish a top I'd pieced several years ago. Finding a new type far different than what I'd ever used or seen, I decided to buy the yardage I needed. Also saw a small amount on another roll, so I checked it out, then and there thinking "small quilt". Bought it and enough yardage for the full size top mentioned above.
The lining is tightly compacted and sturdy, so I began by placing a scrap onto it, then another and another, thus continuing until the whole lining was covered. Each piece had the edges either turned under a quarter inch and pressed or overlapped with the next piece. After finishing this stage of construction, I then highlighted and outlined each individual piece with decorative stitches using several strands of contrasting embroidery thread. Some pieces are 3/4"; most are 2" or 3" scraps.
This project was started November 13, 2013 and finished February 24th. My plan was to give it to Lane at Christmas (2 months past due, eh?) I worked hours each day, a few days as much as 10 long hours, only missing 4 days & not quilting. So I have invested over three months and many hundreds of hours into making it.
I am quite pleased but worn out and yes, without a doubt, I'm totally burned out, with no desire to ever tackle a job such as this quilt again or else only work in spells on a next one (although my time is getting short, I realize). It measures 39' x 60". I hand stitched ever inch of it. My hands will never return to a normal state! They hurt continuously now, especially the thumbs.
It is big enough to cover his youth bed but too large to carry about as he wanders about each day. This is the type he was expecting, since he has literally worn out his "Feece and Sa Tun" one. as he pronounces the words.
Some little ones suck on a 'mouth plug' for security and contentment. Some hang onto a stuffed animal. Lane wagged his ragged blanket along wherever he went. He will have to get another "waggin' bankie" from another source.
|There are a great many pieces.|
|1000 tacks! 100% Cotton. It only looks wrinkled when hanging here on the clothes line.|
The red piece in the middle is a scrap from a dress made by my aunt Louise for my daughter when she was 2 and 1/2 yrs. old. She is almost 54 now and this piece is very strong still.
Bottom left quarter view
|Another quarter view|
|Lane's full name is embroidered here, so he can always claim it as his if it gets misplaced.|
| a third quarter|